This view is from behind Indianola looking north over
the townsite toward Matagorda Bay. Indian Point, the original townsite
of Indianola is shown in the upper portion of the image. This is the location
where the German immigrants began landing in 1844. Some of the old road
bed of the Indianola railroad is indicated by the red lines. The left line
points to the curve where the railroad began its turn toward Indianola.
It then entered Indianola to the rear of town and eventually turned toward
the bay and the Morgan Wharf that extended far out into the water.
After leaving Indianola and making the turn at the left
red line, the railroad then proceeded in a straight line to Clark's Station
approximately five miles north of Port Lavaca where it joined rails extending
onward toward Victoria.