Historical marker dedicated to the City of Indianola. Erected on an old house site.


Marker Closeup

Marker Inscription:
Site of the town of

First called by German immigrants
An important port of Texas
Cargoes of ships were hauled to and from points in Texas and Mexico
by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad
and the Indianola Railroad were completed to Victoria.

The town was partly destroyed
with great loss of life by a
hurricane, September 17, 1875. It
was rebuilt but completely destroyed
by another hurricane, August 20, 1886.

Erected by the State of Texas

Click for more images




Home | Destinations