Site of the town of
First called by German
An important port of Texas
Cargoes of ships were hauled
to and from points in Texas and Mexico
by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad
and the Indianola
Railroad were completed to Victoria.
The town was partly destroyed
with great loss of
life by a
September 17, 1875. It
rebuilt but completely destroyed
by another hurricane, August 20, 1886.
Erected by the State